Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Belgrade FINALLY: After the Longest Night of my Life!

Mar 24-25 (It was all really one long day!)

Today we slept in late because we didn’t even get back from clubbing until 530 in the morning. It was a really great time though. I really like all of Eleanor’s friends. I encountered the strangest coincidence last night. I was talking to one of her friends named Terrick who is from Singapore. I told him as a joke that I knew someone from Singapore, who went to the American school. Terrick told me that went to the American school, and it turns out he knew the guy I was talking about! It was pretty crazy, it made the world feel really small. After we woke up, I packed and then we went over to the girl’s apartment to say goodbye and then Eleanor took me to the airport. Going to the airport was pretty uneventful. I made it with plenty of time to spare, checked in, said goodbye, and was off to Germany. Spending the night in the Cologne-Bonne airport was one of the most painful experiences of my life (maybe that’s a slight exaggeration, but not by much). It’s hard to sleep in the airport, and I might have been ok if the layover had just been overnight, but it was actually 14 hours long. I desperately tried to sleep on the cold metal benches all night, got up at 9 am, watched the only movie on my computer for the fourth time, and got breakfast. Check in started earlier then usual so I was able to get rid of my huge backpack. When I got to the gate the benches were way better then the ones I had slept on all night, so I just slept for 3 hours straight, until my plane boarded. I was SO glad to be on the airplane and out of the airport!! The flight was pretty painless, everyone on the whole plane either spoke German, or Serbian. I was met at the airport by Liza and Molly; UW alumni who, after doing a short internship last year, have moved to Belgrade. (I found out when I got to the dorms that everyone else was on their own, and I was the only one who was picked up!) It turns out that Serbia uses a Cyrillic alphabet; which means that I cannot understand the people when they talk, or read labels, signs, etc. Its not Greek or Russian Cyrillic either, it’s a third alphabet! They took me over to the dorm. Turns out I am no longer living in the downtown dorm, which I am really disappointed about, especially since that is where my two friends are living. I got over it a little when I saw how nice the rooms are and it also helped that my roommate is really cool. We have two beds, a bathroom with a pretty tiny shower, two sinks, a hot plate, mini-fridge, and best of all a balcony with a clothesline! I threw my bag on the ground and slept until 830, when I finally got up to the sound of American voices. I hung out with the group and got to know some of the people better. Some people were not in the prep class so I got to meet them for the first time. The group seems like a really great group, and everyone is really different, which I think will make for good dynamics among us! I’m really excited for my upcoming adventure.


No comments: